Mac, a day or two onI mentioned lately I got an iBook. It's my first Mac, and so far I'm a fan. 4 or 5 hours of battery life, instant sleep and resume, lovely interface... So, cool things:
- touchpad scrolls if you use two fingers
- instant connection to awkward college wireless network (which requires all sorts of setup on Windows and Linux)
- spellcheck in all apps, including browser
- lightweight office-suite thingy
- cool dev-tools
- iTunes automatically shares music, sees other peoples' shared music (this one gave me a shock!)
- Microphone in laptop, for Skype and such.
- Mighty Mouse is great
- Surprisingly, I really like Expose (always annoyed me when briefly using other peoples' macs)
- Dashboard is cool
Not-so good things:
- I had to temporarily change my WiFi MAC address (don't ask). For the Airport Extreme, it's set in hardware; however, Google told me that the driver itself can be modified with a hex editor to whichever address you like. This worked, amazingly. Then I restarted. Back to original. It turns out that to speed up startup, the Mac keeps an image of the kernel with relevant drivers loaded; had to regenerate this. Works now; yay!
- Using external monitor sensibly is crippled by Apple; apparently this is resolvable.
- Safari's 'find' doesn't work like Firefox's; Safari is better in all other ways, tho, so I'm using it.
So I'm a Mac addict now. Marc sent me this in response to my original Mac post. :)